01 September 2012

Dear Mr. Martzloff

1 September 2012

This letter is in response to a recent local news story regarding the firing of Al Monaco, the Williamsville South basketball coach.

Dear Mr. Martzloff,

Like many in the Williamsville district, I was stunned to hear the news about the firing of Al Monaco. It is now 6 days later, and my unease regarding the situation has only grown.

It was not so long ago, I was the parent of Williamsville South athletes. I know the emotions many a parent feels when their child is not being given a fair shake or is being underused. I know what it feels like to see an underclassmen unseat your child. It is hard to swallow. I even know what it is to hear your child criticized unfairly.

Do you know what I did about it? Nothing. And I continue to be glad that I said nothing.

It was not so long ago, I was the travel coach for those same athletes. I experienced the unsolvable expectations of both the league and the parents. The league expects me to win and the parents expect the same as long as I use their child as much as every other player.

I loved coaching. I hated coaching. Maybe you feel that way about being a superintendent right now.

And as I look back, I wish that some of the parents of the children I coached had followed my pattern and said less rather than more. They never helped. Their complaints never made anything better for their children or the team. Never.

I did learn this about coaching. You played the kids together that worked the best together. I sometimes left a very good player on the bench because they did not make the other players better when they were competing. We don't get that as a parent, but we do as a coach.

It was not so long ago, I was in leadership at several non-profits. I know what it is to hear the complaints. I know what it is to see the evidence pile up. I even know the threatening of lawsuits. And I know what it is to come to a decision, only to find out afterwards that the decision was a "stinker" and you were manipulated. I should have known better, but in the end, I got it wrong. I was wrong.

My children had Al Monaco as a teacher. Each one expressed a deep appreciation for the man. He was a great communicator and teacher.

This is the disconnect that many feel. If he is a bully as a coach, then why is he still teaching? If his conduct is unbecoming of an adult around teens, then he should not be in the school at all. In my humble opinion, he either belongs around students or he does not.

But those that know Al Monaco, know that he does belong. Is he a perfect man, teacher, or coach? No, not by a long shot. In the end, though, most are glad that he has been a part of their lives.

It is sad to me that a few are stealing that privilege of the many to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment