16 September 2012

Pops at Two

16 September 2012

Last week, my grandson, Eric Xavier Decker turned two. Sometimes, I wonder if it is me that has turned two. I guess, in a way, I have.

There is a certain delight about becoming a grandparent that I suppose only other grandparents get. Our role is so unique and special. I have understood this, in part, because of the great relationship I had with my grandmother. She was my special confidante and fellow conspirator, always glad to pull one over on my parents.

These last two years have been intense since Elizabeth and Xavy have been under our roof for most of the time. So, we have yet to feel that empty nest thing. Instead, our daily experience has been fingerprints on the doors, toys on the floor, cupboards unpacked, cereal thrown, climbs into the refrigerator, and crying in the middle of the night. Of course, we have been loving every minute of it and have no regrets whatsoever.

Elizabeth and Xavy have moved out now into an apartment nearby, and though we still see them a lot (for which I am grateful), there is still a sadness I feel. My morning greeting of "Hey Pops!" won't be quite as regular as it was. Time is marching on and the new stages in our lives keep coming upon us.

What I truly hope is that I will never lose an appreciation of the privilege it is to be "Pops" and how grateful I am to the Lord that he has graced me with such a role.







No comments:

Post a Comment