08 June 2012

Communion in a Field

27 May 2012
Infusion


I've led and participated in communion over a thousand times in my lifetime. I have to admit, while I know the time is packed with meaning, typically I am caught up in the mechanics of leading it.  Once in a while, though, it hits home.  Today was one of those days.


The setting was an open field.  On a small table there was a Bible turned to I Corinthians 11, with plates of bread and juice sitting behind it.  As I knelt before the small table, I read the passage, then I began to look at the elements.  As I looked at them, I became keenly aware of my sin.  This bread - this broken body; this juice - this sacrifice; they proclaimed my unworthiness.


I am unworthy. I can make fun of Adam all I want. I can criticize Eve for being so easily deceived.  But the reality is - I stink!  I sin. I choose to sin. And these elements proclaim it.  They point a finger at me pronouncing me guilty.


I didn't want to cry, but I felt it welling up within me.  Quietly, I began to weep. Jesus died because of me - because of my stupid, rotten, idiotic, smelly, rebellious choices. It is me, O Lord, that needs a Savior!


I let myself be deceived on how wicked I am. I tend to evaluate my sin to be something less than the evil it is.  These lies must stop. I must no longer rationalize and justify myself regarding such irrational behavior.


Let today be a new day - of gratitude - of purity - for His mercies are new every day.


A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself. 
I Corinthians 11.28-29



No comments:

Post a Comment