30 May 2011

A New Generation

I am seeing a new generation arise. And they are passionate. They are passionate about God's Word. They are passionate that it ought to be lived out - now.

I feel a bit of irony in all of this. Being a pastor of churches for 30 years, I have lived inside the repeating criticism of young people being shallow theologically and bent on emotional experience. Most commonly, it was the kind of thing said during the "worship wars" at any given church.

This is a generation that knows not hymns. They sing contemporary worship songs. They use guitars and drums, instead of an organ. Their music has a "beat." And they have cast aside many of the traditions that I grew up in.

I can criticize the casting aside of some tradition, for there is much to learn from those who have come before us. But what I cannot criticize is a motivation that comes from knowing the God of the present who says "Go" and "Proclaim good news and freedom to the oppressed."

What can I say? More power to them. Holy Spirit power, that is.

The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to bring good news to the poor;
he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of the prison to those who are bound.


Isaiah 61.1 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment