18 May 2011

Get Rid of the S

Devo’s. Q.T. Quiet Time. Daily Bread. Time with God. Devotions.

Whatever you call it, it has been my assignment since the early days of following Jesus. And no doubt, it is a noble task. For how am I ever going to get to know God better if I do not spend time with Him? Taking time to read and study the Bible, as well as praying, are just plain essentials if you are going to grow in your faith.

For almost 40 years, devotions has been a task on my daily checklist that is done early and then crossed off. And if it is not done, it is an incomplete and ineffective day. In fact, it is a day that is ruined, because I have shown my priorities to be out of synch with what God requires of me.

And here lies the mystery. How is it that something that is meant to be a joy and a benefit turn into such drudgery?

Happily, the answer has not evaded me. The answer lies in that extra “s.” For years, I have been doing devotions, when all along what God has wanted is devotion. Devotion. Not devotions.

So, on my daily list, I still write “DEV” at the top, but I never cross it out. Devotion is not something done in the morning. It is done all day. And it is never finished.

In the end, I have decided, I do not want to be known for doing my devotions. I want to be known for my devotion to God.

Isn’t it odd that leaving one “s” off the end of a word can make so much of a difference?

Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37.4 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment