24 March 2011

A Snowstorm, A Sliding Jetta and A Good Word

It’s the end of March, and Mother Nature seemed determined to shower western New York with another snowstorm. I reacted as most did as the 8-10 inches of snow was landing. I screamed. I am tired of winter. Oh please, global warming aficionados, tell me it is going to get warmer. I fear I have come to a conclusion that Al Gore invented global warming. I am tired of his fiction.

I was on the road during this storm. I had been invited to speak at the CA group at Monroe Community College (MCC) in Rochester. It was hard driving on the Thruway. I was not going fast, but as I was going by the Batavia exit, I moved into the passing lane to make room for cars coming onto the road. About a mile later, I moved back into the right lane, but the Jetta did not cooperate. I began to fishtail and I was looking straight ahead at Genesee Community College. That was a problem.

It is interesting the thoughts that come into your head when you lose control of a car. It becomes surreal and time seems to go slower. My first thought was, “I guess I am going to be late for this meeting.” So as I prepared to go off the road, the Lord enabled me to do the right thing, gas and steer (front-wheel drives are interesting creatures).

The meeting at MCC was a God-event. Following the principle of never wasting your pain, I once again spoke on the topic of Where Faith and Depression Meet. Afterwards, many of the students came to me to discuss their struggles. I could tell liberation was taking place as the truth was setting young men and women free. God was on the move.

It brings such joy to bring hope to the hurting. The opportunity to bring a good word – truth to those in pain is a blessing beyond comprehension.

The following verse comes from one of my favorite hymns, May the Mind of Christ My Savior, and it is my prayer…

May the peace of God my Father
Rule my life in everything
That I may be calm to comfort
Sick and sorrowing

2 comments:

  1. Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. It was your quotation from Kate Wilkinson's beautiful hymn that caught my eye this morning, as I'd just posted an article on it. Great prayer for every day of the year.

    I found your comments interesting, too. Not sure what you have in mind with "Where Faith and Depression Meet." It's a subject I've preached on a number of times, and there are several psalms that fit that description. Psalm 13, for example, with its switch from feelings to faith in vs. 5. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great hymn! I have decided to memorize some of the hymns that have had special impact on me because of the lyrics, and this is one of them. So I can sing it for you if you want...on second thought...better not.

    As a campus minister, I live by the principle of "never waste your pain." Having gone through a severe depression and finding light on the other side, I enjoy sharing in the blessing. On the other hand, I do pray with all seriousness, "Lord, do not send that blessing again!"

    ReplyDelete