09 December 2012

The Biggest Hands (They Matched His Heart)

In Memoriam: Ernie Warlick
9 December 2012

Occasionally, when I am asked who is the most famous person I know, my answer has been Ernie Warlick. Unless you are from Buffalo, though, it may not be a name you recognize.

Ernie Warlick played tight end  for the Buffalo Bills for four years (1962-1965). He was a pioneer as he was known for his receiving ability more than his blocking ability. He averaged more than 17 yards per catch and was an AFL All-Star the four years he played in Buffalo.

What I remember about my friend Ernie is his huge hands. I could fit four of my hands in his one. It is no wonder he was a receiver. I often thought he could not help but catch the ball with those hands.

I was privileged to shake the hands of Ernie often. You see, he called me his pastor for 12 years. And it was my privilege to call him my friend. His large hands were matched by his large heart. He was the type of person that was all class, and was generous almost to a fault.

One of my favorite memories is when I used him as an illustrative prop during a message I gave at Randall. He had no idea it was going to happen (but I did get permission from his lovely wife, Louise). I was doing a first-person message at Christmas acting as a shepherd to whom the angels have just announced the good news of Jesus' birth. As I was running about the sanctuary, I spot Ernie and ask him stand up. Obviously, I am in awe of his size, and I ask him if he is a Philistine. He smiles and laughs generously. He plays well with my unexpected interruption.

Ernie left his earthly body on November 24. But it is hardly the end of Ernie. He was welcomed with even larger hands owned by His Savior, Lord and Friend.


Psalm 31.5 (ESV) - Into your hand I commit my spirit; you have redeemed me, O Lord, faithful God.





No comments:

Post a Comment