12 November 2010

Is This a Joke?

It looked like the beginning of a joke.

Three pastors sat together in a room. An Anglican. A Pentecostal. And a Baptist.

Except, it was no joke. Three men. Three theological persuasions. Three different pastoral roles. And...one Lord!

I have always found it fascinating when we keep our hearts focused on Jesus, that many of the things that seemed so important before, seem less important.

It's not that I don't believe what I believe is important. I think doctrine is huge! I hold on to many of my doctrinal positions with great fervor. They are so core to who I am.

I rejoiced for the three of us that day. We were planning a worship service that involved all the evangelical ministries on campus. We discovered with ease that we had much more in common than what was different. Our mission was the same: Worship. Unity. A campus that needs Jesus.

Three men in a room. The Holy Spirit in our midst. It was a holy moment.

2 comments:

  1. Just a quick question here Pastor: would you be comfortable sending any newly professing Christians to be a part of the worship at the Anglican or Pentecostal churches? At what point would you say doctrine or truth divides enough not to link "shoulders" with people of different biblical persuasions or convictions, or other religions? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The understanding of Jesus is always the crucial issue. In this case, these men are solid believers - receiving Jesus as Savior - following the Lord - accepting the inerrancy of Scripture.

    Do they possess the same theological framework that I have? No. But it is more different than wrong according to my own understanding.

    So what would I recommend to a new believer? Obviously, I point to a place I feel comfortable with, but even more important, I point to a place that I feel they will be discipled.

    ReplyDelete