02 April 2013

A Joplin Journey: Build


2 April 2013

In May 2011, a catastrophic tornado demolished a large part of the city of Joplin, MO. Many have heard about this tornado, but like myself, it is hard to get a grasp of its magnitude until you go there and see for yourself.

Early in the week (March 11-16), as I gazed over the devastation that this tornado caused, I spontaneously began to weep. I literally could see a path miles long and mile wide, and all I could think about is the sheer terror of the thing as winds exceeded 250 miles per hour.

Joplin has been rebuilding, but it is a slow and painful process. For people who lost everything, the fear may never go away. But it was good to bring a portion of hope to such people. Our ministry team from the University at Buffalo participated in building new homes – adequate in size – with safe rooms from future tornadoes – so that families in Joplin could experience a rebirth of a kind, and a hope in Jesus that is real.

"Build up, build up, prepare the road! Remove the obstacles out of the way of my people." 
Isaiah 57.14, NIV


No comments:

Post a Comment