17 April 2012

Students on Mission (Part 8)

JOY

Thursday, 14 March 2012

Today is our last workday, and our main focus is running a Field Day at a local Christian school. We arrive in time to join the students for lunch, where once again, I am confronted with age issues.

Nate (the InterVarsity Campus Minister) sat down with the second-graders and the conversation with them was going well until he asked one of the boys how old he thought Nate was.  Nate was stunned to hear the boy say, "70."

But he was quick with a response. "If I am 70," pointing across the room at me, "how old do you think the man is over there?"

"200."

This is more fuel for the college students during the rest of the trip, as I am consistently referred to as "The 200 Year Old Man." I guess somebody had to be the oldest...

It was my privilege to speak at the chapel following lunch, and talk about God's mercy. I used a personal story from my past when my father chose not to punish me for my disobedience. It was a true act of mercy, wholly undeserved. It is a story that still grabs my heart and fills it with joy.

Although these few days have been full - and the limits of the students have been tested - I am amazed at the joy this group possesses. It is a true evidence of the Spirit at work in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment