21 March 2012

Students on Mission (Part 3)

FRIENDSHIP

Saturday 10 March 2012

This is the super travel day, compared to the previous evening when we spent 7 hours on the road.  We will leave West Virginia at 7 AM and arrive at our lodging location in Georgia at 11 PM.

I am slightly disappointed at first, when I discover that none of my CA students are in my van.  They have been assigned to other vehicles.  Instead I have all IV students, but they turn out to be a lively bunch (to say the least). They name our group "Vandals", which concerns me slightly.  They are fascinated with yellow cars and call "banana" when one is spotted.  They enjoy worship music and 70s classic rock. My concern continues.

Their assignment is to keep the driver awake.  Each student takes a turn in the "shotgun" seat, and within this two day period, I have made 6 friends that I did not have before.  We know each other's life stories.  I gain insight on where each one is coming from and what they hope to accomplish on this trip.

Our discussions are varied and lively.  We talk about evangelism, the Holy Spirit, homosexuality, the original manuscripts, speaking in tongues, and love and marriage.  It is obvious to me quickly that there are no intellectual lightweights in this van.




No comments:

Post a Comment