08 June 2011

Freedom

One of the pleasures of Infusion is the encouragement of artistic expression. Three of our young people blew us away with their creative articulation of what God was doing in their lives. Here is the first of three. It is worth your attention!

Freedom
Tara Petty
May 2011

Like fists pounding on inside walls of my ventricles
Splitting nerve endings and atoms
Looking for one path out, of my locked box
Like dust collects on old photos trapped in frames
I have collected fear filled memories.
And that’s how tightly sealed I have stayed
Never changing in outward appearance
But with each change for repression tissue dies
So from the outside I know I smell like decay
That is the opposite of freedom

Like Chains bind up my being
And Fears come to life and
Tie my hands behind my back
Like in the dead of the night
I let out a scream and no one hears
And again I’m all alone
Frozen in time
Like wanting to move forward
But living in the past
With no way up or down.
That is the opposite of freedom

Like when someone comes into my life
And steals my most intimate possession
Then walks away like it didn’t happen
And I have no where to turn
So the devil turns to me face to face
And then I’m not only bound up in fear
But also in self-hatred and lies
Like being entangled, entrapped, and ensnared in sin
That is the opposite of freedom

A key to a locked box
Light to a dark room
A companion to untie the knots
Like when love is no longer a four-letter word
But the one thing I cling to
Like walking right up to the Berlin wall
And knocking it down in one breath
That is freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment